Image via Wikipedia
WENDELL BERRY was born in Henry County, Kentucky, in 1934. He earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Kentucky in 1956 and continued on to complete a master’s degree in 1957. In 1958, he received a Wallace Stegner Fellowship from Stanford University. Berry has taught at Stanford University, Georgetown College, New York University, the University of Cincinnati, and Bucknell University. He taught at his alma mater, the University of Kentucky from 1964-77, and again from 1987-93.
The author of more than 40 works of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, Wendell Berry has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including a Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship (1962), the Vachel Lindsay Prize from Poetry (1962), a Rockefeller Foundation Fellowship (1965), a National Institute of Arts and Letters award for writing (1971), the Emily Clark Balch Prize from The Virginia Quarterly Review (1974), the American Academy of Arts and Letters Jean Stein Award (1987), a Lannan Foundation Award for Non-Fiction (1989), Membership in the Fellowship of Southern Writers (1991), the Ingersoll Foundation’s T. S. Eliot Award (1994), the John Hay Award (1997), the Lyndhurst Prize (1997), and the Aitken-Taylor Award for Poetry from The Sewanee Review (1998). His books include the novel Hannah Coulter (2004), the essay collections Citizenship Papers (2005) and The Way of Ignorance (2006), and Given: Poems (2005), all available from Counterpoint. Berry’s latest works include The Mad Farmer Poems (2008) and Whitefoot (2009), which features illustrations by Davis Te Selle.
He lives and works with his wife, Tanya Berry, on their farm in Port Royal, Kentucky.
Visit Wendell Berry
- Wendell Berry (myberryfarm.wordpress.com)
- Paean to Wendell Berry (literarylew.wordpress.com)
- Wendell Berry to Give 2012 Jefferson Lecture (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Wendell Berry: “There can be no such thing as a ‘global village.'” (lifeondoverbeach.wordpress.com)
- QOTD: Wendell Berry (white-pebble.net)
- Wendell Berry: “Much protest is naive” (lifeondoverbeach.wordpress.com)
- Wendell Berry gets a fake Twitter (bluecoastlive.wordpress.com)
- Wendell Berry (proscripture.wordpress.com)
- The Archivist meets Wendell Berry, Dear Readers (parablematernal.wordpress.com)
- Consumer Culture (wildplaceswildwords.com)