Nederlands: gedroogde Goji bessen (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
It is believed that goji berries were discovered by a doctor during a study of a group of people living deep in the Himalayan mountains. This society was known for its good health. In fact, many of the residents lived well into their hundreds with few health problems. Many didn’t even suffer from grey hair. He wondered what these people were doing to protect their health so effectively. Upon further study, this doctor discovered that goji berries grew naturally near the wells from which these residents drank. Goji berries would fall into the water and infuse it with their health promoting nutrients. Those living in this village also regularly ate these berries. It is believed that regular consumption of these berries led to the health and vitality experienced by those in this village. Here are some interesting facts about goji berries:
ORAC testing has revealed that goji berries have antioxidant levels more than ten times higher than blueberries and about three times higher than pomegranates.
Goji berries are an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, vitamin C and iron. Per ounce, goji berries contain more vitamin C than oranges.
Goji berries may hold benefits for many ailments and conditions. They are great for the eyes since they contain high levels of beta carotene. They are an excellent choice for immune system support since they contain more vitamin C per ounce than an orange. Traditionally goji berries have been used to treat liver problems, depression, allergies, insomnia and diabetes. They may also lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Many people that regularly consume these berries report feeling happier. In fact, some call the gojiberry the ‘happy berry’. They also frequently notice an increase in energy and immune function.
Goji berries are easy to eat and delicious as well. They also are a great source of protein. Since they contain more than 20 vitamins and minerals, goji berries contain many of the nutrients needed for optimal health and vitality.
They can be enjoyed by the handful when dried, fresh or frozen. Goji berry juices may also be available. You can also soak dried berries overnight and then puree in the blender for a make at home goji berry drink. Goji berries can also be added to smoothies, yogurts, cereals or salads. Goji berries have a strong and unique flavor. Many people find that these berries pair excellently with nuts. Try them with cashews or almonds for a delicious treat.
Of the many superfruits available, goji berries are one of the most revered. This small red berry has been used in medicine for thousands of years. It is popular around the world as a tasty way to get more nutrients and antioxidants.
- Goji Berries (myberryfarm.wordpress.com)
- Definition: Goji Berry (bellasugar.com)
- Gojiberries.us Launches New Product, Goji Juice Deluxe (prweb.com)
- Mar 29, Growing Goji Berries: How to Grow Goji Berries Organically (growinganything.com)
- Vosges Haut Chocolat ‘Goji Bar’ (patospapa.wordpress.com)
- Supercharge Summer with Superfood-infused Cookies! (prweb.com)
- sniffle stopper (sweatpantsandeggplants.com)
- Roland Rauter’s sweet polenta with caramelised pears and goji berries (Recipe review) (dailycauldron.wordpress.com)
- Miranda Kerr Loves Goji Berries, Isn’t Ready For Baby #2 Yet, & Answers More Of YOUR Questions! (glamour.com)
- 4 superfoods to give your body a boost (eat-spin-run-repeat.com)